Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oak, Ash, and Hawthorn: The Path of the Druids (6/6)

This is the end of this analyzation of some parts of Druidry, but I hope that it's opened at least some new door or perspective for you. I realize that this was long, and if you stuck with me through the whole thing, I applaud you.


Let's summarize a bit. Druidry is a Nature-based religion and all of it's practices and philosophies revolve around this connection to what is natural. They draw spiritual strength from the three Realms of Sky, Land, and Sea, and believe in an afterlife centered around the idea of rebirth. They draw inspiration from the Awen, one of the most unique parts of Druidry, which creates some very specific traditions and philosophies, such as the emphasis on the cultivation of creativity. Finally, their connection to the cycles of Nature, the cosmos, and their ancestors directly influences their holidays and celebrations. If we fit this into Geertz's definition of religion ("A system of symbol which acts to establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic" ) it's easy to see the way that the symbols explored in this blog establish the "powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations" mentioned, and how they help to formulate the ways in which Druids tend to see the world.


The reason that I chose to look at the Druids for this project is because I am a Pagan, and although I do not tack on a more specific label if I had to it would be "Druid." I find a lot of truth and power in their philosophies and way of life. I also appreciate the flexibility that the Druidic path allows; there are no set Gods you have to worship, there is no dogma, there is no real hierarchy. The Druid path is about being in tune with Nature, celebrating and appreciating Life and the people in it, and always seeking new knowledge and inspiration. 


Before I end this, I want to make myself available to any questions that you might have on Druidry or any other Neo-Pagan path, such as Wicca, Witchcraft, Asatru, Kemetcism, Hellenism, Celtic Reconstructionism, or even Satanism (which is not generally considered a Neo-Pagan religion). Feel free to drop me an e-mail or come talk to me, if you like.


Some helpful links:
OBOD
ADF
Druid Network
Witchvox (one of the most extensive archives of different Pagan traditions)


Finally, I leave you with a video. It's essentially a promotional video for OBOD, but it might be fun to see now that you know a bit more about Druidry.




Brightest Blessings, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment