Friday, October 7, 2011

iReligion

[free blog #4]


When we were talking in class today about the impact that Steve Jobs and Apple has made on American culture, it really hit me how identity-oriented we are. While I don't have very much experience outside of the U.S., it certainly seems (from what I've heard, including Benny's comments today) that we are incredibly caught up in the idea of individuality. Am I saying this is a bad thing? Not at all. But I can't help but wonder, does individuality clash with religion?


We've already established that religion is a group phenomenon. According to what we've observed and experienced in our own group experiences, for a group to work, there needs to be a sense of uniformity. Maybe a certain way of dress, specific political opinions, or a set of religious (spiritual and non-spiritual) practices. Any group is adhered by something that all members share. That being said, a certain edge to one's individuality seems lost when you become part of a group.


Again, none of this is a bad thing at all. There's something incredibly comforting and empowering about being with a group of like-minded people, but there is also a uniquely liberating feeling knowing that you are one-in-a-million. I guess what I'm really thinking about is religious identity in America. Many of the major religions encourage a group mentality, and aligning yourself specifically to one group; sometimes people shown disdain for those who convert religions, or celebrate holidays from two or more religions. Yet despite all this, America pushes for individuality, and listening to your own heart, following your own compass, marching to the beat of your own drum.


While I was not at this march, I did line on of the major streets
of my hometown with some friends on election day,
encouraging people to vote no on Prop 8.
I can't help but feel that these clash of messages cause for some pretty confusing and conflicting feelings for people very devoted to a rigid religion. It's as if in order to be unique, you have to align yourself with as many group labels as possible. I sometimes wonder if this gives way to a lot of the extremism in America; people protesting war with radical-liberal groups, or others lining the streets with their radical-conservative fellows to encourage a pro-life stance. 


I just think it's important to think about this friction, in America in particular, between the idea (and ideal) of distinction and the general feeling of a flock that is encouraged in many religions.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting post. I agree that America tells us to be individuals, but I myself find it confusing when social stigmas place us in groups.In my home town individualism was not greatly encouraged especially in religion. Everyone follows the same beliefs, for the most part. The group aspect of religion becomes stifling because you lose the opportunity to make your own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a lot of great points, however I think your opinion is slanted with some bias. I think it really depends where you go in America/the anywhere and what groups you associate yourself with that depends on the promotion of individuality. I think in terms of religion, there are many groups of different religions with different beliefs that in itself are very individualistic, and one has the option to choose where he/she belongs. Even if everyone follows the same beliefs, it does not mean everyone is one in the same, there are always different sub-groups within larger groups, people always flock to other individuals with similar interests as them, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Identity is a major part of religion. In order to create, maintain and ensure the longevity of religious ideas they have to be fit into a framework that can represent this religion individual to all others. The meditation on these ideas in your blog post illuminates so many ideas we have about modern cultural touchstones like Apple. At the very basic level, identity is necessary in order to orient yourself in relation to other things. In order to do this you must first be able to identify yourself and you must also identify what is not you, or other objects. The attention you pay to these questions of religion and identity is evident in the cohesive summary of Steve Job’s time at Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered that individuality may be opposed to religion because it is... a religion in itself? You wrote, for instance: "Many of the major religions encourage a group mentality [...]. Yet despite all this, America pushes for individuality [...]." We want EVERYONE to be an individual - that doesn't mean that people can't align themselves with groups, but it has to be because they alone want to.
    If for instance, I say I'm a Christian, people tell me: "Oh, that's cool. I respect that." If I say that I am a Christian because it is what I have learned is true from my family and community, then I am "narrow-minded" and "not thinking for myself".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I do think American ideals push against each other at these points. I also think our individualism makes it very hard to understand cultures of the past where such individualism was not present. I sometimes try tom imagine someone in medieval Egypt getting handed an iPad and thenconfusion that would entail because of the assumptions about constructing the self. I'm notmcomfortable going where Benny goes and calling it a religion in itself.

    ReplyDelete